Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Floyd Mayweather chooses Marcos Maidana for May 3

Stephanie Trapp / SHOWTIME
Stephanie Trapp / SHOWTIME
On the day he turned 37 years, Floyd Mayweather went to Twitter today to announce his next opponent.
“I will be fighting Marcos Maidana May 3rd on Pay-per-view Showtime/CBS,” Mayweather announced on his Twitter account.
With the only two realistic options for Floyd being Amir Khan and Marcos Maidana, there is no doubt Maidana is the more deserving of the two. After losing a lopsided decision to Devon Alexander in 2012, Maidana (35-3, 31 KO) stormed back with four straight wins, including a shocking victory over Adrien Broner last December where he knocked Broner down twice and manhandled him throughout the fight.
BronerMaidana_Hoganphotos
“I am extremely happy to be facing Floyd Mayweather because it will give me the opportunity to show the world that I am the best welterweight in the division,” said Maidana, via Showtime press release. “I just handed a great defensive fighter his first loss and I plan to do the same to Mayweather. I don’t care whether he’s the best and undefeated. I will bring some real Latino power to him on May 3rd.”
Mayweather (45-0, 26 KO) had an impressive 2013 that saw him outclass Robert Guerrero in May and Canelo Alvarez in September.
“Marcos Maidana’s last performance immediately brought him to my attention,” said Mayweather, who celebrates his 37th birthday today. “He is an extremely skilled fighter who brings knockout danger to the ring. I think this is a great fight for me and he deserves the opportunity to see if he can do what 45 others have tried to do before him – beat me.”
While there were rumblings about the fight possibly taking place at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, it appears the fight will take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas where Mayweather has fought exclusively for his past eight fights.

1 comment: