Monday, October 14, 2013

Provodnikov finishes camp at Grudge in Denver

Ruslan ‘The Siberian Rocky’ Provodnikov finished up his training camp in the Rockies at the Grudge Training Center in Denver, Colorado. He looked very explosive and sharp in his final sparring session with Giovanni Merceron on Saturday. Provodnikov sparred with Merceron and Manny Perez on Tuesday and then Merceron again on Thursday in addition to Saturday, getting acclimated to the elevation in the Mile High City. Merceron did well to hold his own but Provodnikov is relentless in his attack and he generates great power with his hooks and right cross.

When asked about Provodnikov’s power Merceron replied, “Oh yeah, you can feel his power, even on shots you catch. He missed with a left hook and I felt the wind of the punch and was glad I had gotten out of the way. He can punch.”
FightNews/Rocky Mountain Boxing was able to speak with Ruslan after his workout through his manager and interpreter Vadim Kornilov.
How are you adjusting to the altitude?
“I really like being here, Denver is a beautiful city and it reminds me of being in Russia. I have adjusted very well and I feel great.”
How is the weight coming off?
“No problems at all this time, I’m already very close to making weight right now and I haven’t started losing a lot of weight yet. I still have a week and I’m almost there so no problem.”
How has camp gone for you?
“It’s been an awesome training camp. Everything was exactly the way I needed it. I’m very glad, it’s been a very positive training camp. It’s been long, I’ve done a lot of work and I’m happy that it’s over and I’m ready for the fight.”
Will Freddie Roach be in the corner next Saturday night?
“Right now there is a possibility he will not be able to make it. He said he will do everything possible to be there on the night of the fight. We’ve done an eight week camp with Freddy; everything has been done the way it has to be done for a big fight. I’m ready 100%; I’m not really worried about that. My team is there for me and Freddy’s main assistant is here. (Marvin Somodio) I know what to do in the fight and I’m not worried about it if he can’t make it. I know he will do everything he can to be there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment