Saturday, October 5, 2013

Klitschko says he'll beat Povetkin in Moscow


MOSCOW (AP) -- Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko is confident he'll put an end to Alexander Povetkin's undefeated record when he defends his WBA and IBF belts against the Russian on Saturday.
After open training sessions on Wednesday, Klitschko (60-3, 51 KO) said he came to Moscow to win.
''That's what I will do on Oct. 5,'' Klitschko said. ''Believe me, I will do everything for my victory.''
However, Klitschko made it clear he would not underestimate Povetkin.
''He hasn't lost or drawn a fight and was never knocked down,'' the Ukrainian said. ''So, I think the night will be a complicated one - for those who will watch, as well as for Alexander and me. Each sportsman has his chance and each of us will try to capitalize on it. How, we will see it.''
Povetkin (26-0, 18KO) avoided the usual pre-bout banter, saying he was prepared for the fight.
''There's no need for extra words,'' Povetkin said. ''I could have said that I would bury him or something like this. But you will see it on Saturday.''
The WBA heavyweight belt became vacant when Klitschko was elevated to ''super champion'' status in 2011 after beating David Haye. Povetkin became the mandatory challenger for Klitschko when he beat American Hasim Rahman last September.
A sell-out crowd of 14,000 is expected to attend the match at Olympic Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment