Saturday, January 11, 2014

DeMarco-Gurrola pre-fight press conference 10-01-2014


Photos: Zanfer

Former WBC lightweight champion Antonio “Tony” de Marco (29-3-0, 22 KOs) and Jesús “Pantera” Gurrola (23-5-0, 9 KOs) faced off at the final press conference for their UniMas-televised showdown on Saturday night in Tijuana. The bout will be a ten-rounder with a contract weight of 144 lbs.

DeMarco stated that he respects Gurrola, whom he referred to as a “brave fighter.” He said he expects great things to come with his new promoter Zanfer and stated that new trainer Freddie Roach is very demanding and he feels much better than in his last fight. Gurrola said his fight with De Marco is of great importance because a win would open “the doors of success to the big fights.”

However it was co-feature welterweight fighters Humberto “Betillo” Gutierrez (25-5, 20 KOs) and Abner “Jaeger” Lopez (16-3, 15 KOs) who stole the show.

Lopez: I have prepared to face a world champion, which ‘Betillo’ was. It’s true that he has talent but he’s also fat, has fought very overweight and now no longer has the just hunger to fight but the hunger for pozole and tamales!

Gutierrez: My weight is good and will be tomorrow. It’s not true that I’ve neglected the gym or I was out partying. 

I went to spend New Year with my family, and having seen my wife and my child motivated me to train hard and I will win this fight at all costs. They say Abner hits hard, but I’ve faced tougher fighters than he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment