Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Heavyweight hope Anthony Joshua plans busy year – 8 to 10 fights in 2014

2012 Olympic gold medal winner and current red-hot heavyweight hope Anthony Joshua is planning on having a very busy 2014. The Brit who is currently 3-0(3) in the paid ranks told The Express how he also plans to “bring the smile back to British boxing.”

“When I competed in the Olympic I wasn’t half the fighter I am today and I’ve still got much further to go,” the 24-year-old said. “I want to fight eight to ten times this year and if I can level out my progression at a rapid rate towards the end of the year, I will get a better British ranking. I can be as good as I want to be, but I have to let my fists do the talking. I want to bring the smile back to British boxing and to heavyweight boxing.”

2013 saw Joshua hampered somewhat by a shoulder injury and he had to postpone a fight as a result. Maybe this is why Joshua wants to take on a Mike Tyson-like schedule this year. Next up for the gold medal winner is a February 1st date with the 7-1(1) Dorian Darch (the fight that was postponed due to the shoulder) and after this bout, set for Cardiff, Wales, Joshua will take on his hot schedule.

It’s still very early days in Joshua’s career (a pro since October of 2013) but already fans are excited at the prospect of one day seeing him in there with the big British names and then the best in the world. Big things are expected of the 6’6″ giant, that’s for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment