Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Kiko Martinez wants Quigg next distances himself from Frampton return

KIKO Martinez has told Carl Frampton he will have to ‘wait’ if he wants a shot at the Spaniards IBF super bantamweight World title.

Frampton was confident he could secure a massive Belfast hosted World title fight with a fighter he stopped early in 2013 to claim the European title, but despite expressing a desire for revenge, Martinez has put ‘The Jackal’ on the long finger.

Martinez, who won the first of his three European titles by destroying Bernard Dunne in 2007, said Frampton’s arch rival Scott Quigg is top of a long list of possible opponents and wants to fight the Bury native next.

‘La Sensación’, who Dublin fight fans nicknamed ‘Mini Tyson’ did admit Irish favourite Frampton remains on the radar, but his immediate goal is depose Quigg of the the WBA interim title. 
Speaking about how both Frampton and Quigg watched his successful defence over Jeffrey mathebula from ring side and expressed a desire to trade leather with him, Martinez told Boxingscene,
“I was speaking to Scott Quigg (before the fight), he wished me luck and said he hoped I’d win then after the fight he congratulated me. I was happy to speak to a great champion and a nice guy like Quigg.
“I didn’t speak to Carl Frampton, but I thank him for coming to Spain to watch me fight,” he added.

“I know we will meet again sooner or later, but it was my night, they came to enjoy the show there was nothing more too it. Scott Quigg is a champion, Frampton isn’t a champion of anything and he has to accept the consequences. He will have to wait. I would like to fight Scott Quigg before I fight Frampton, but my promoter MaravillaBox will sort all that out.”
Frampton became the first fighter to stop Martinez in February last
Frampton became the first fighter to stop Martinez in February last
Frampton has other World title options as Leo Santa Cruz the holder of the WBC title has expressed a desire to fight the massively popular former European Champ.

However, a rematch with Martinez and then a fight with well known American Mexican Cruz was the prefered option.

And to make matters worse, Martinez has all but put his run of World title success down to defeat suffered at the gloves of Frampton in February,
“This has been the best year in my career. I won the World title in America and defended it at home. I started off with a loss but finished with a win. Thanks to that loss I have learned how to win the other fights this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment