Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I feel as though I cannot lose fighting in Bristol, says Lee Haskins.

LEE Haskins is convinced home comforts will give him a crucial edge when hedefends his British bantamweight title against wily former champion Jason Booth later this week.
Top of the bill on Chris Sanigar's latest promotion, Lockleaze-based southpaw Haskins, pictured, takes on Booth at Bristol's City Academy Sports Centre in Redfield on Friday.
And he reckons home advantage will help him avoid a repeat of the rare defeat he suffered at the hands of Stephane Jamoye in Liege 11 months ago.
Making the first defence of his European crown on the road, Haskins relinquished his championship belt when he was stopped in the eighth round in Belgium.
Had that fight been staged in Bristol, he believes he would still be champion and on course for a tilt at a version of the world title.
Haskins said: "I just didn't prepare for that fight as well as I could have done mentally. I knew I wasn't ready for it.
"My mind-set was not right, because I was a champion and was having to go over to Belgium to defend my title rather than boxing at home.
"I was really disappointed that I had to go over there, where nobody was going to cheer me on."


"When I walk out in front of my home crowd, it feels like nothing else on earth.
"I feel as though I cannot lose, no matter who I am fighting."
Although Haskins is setting his sights on challenging new European champion Karim Guerfi, from France, he hankers after a re-match with Jamoye, the only man to beat him in more than seven years.
"Losing the European title has made me even hungrier to get it back," said the 30-year-old Bristolian, who has been installed as mandatory challenger for the EBU title.
"I made mistakes in that fight and, if I could do it again, I know I'd beat him (Jamoye).
"I'm disappointed that he has lost, because I wanted a rematch. The first fight was a good one and I reckon number two, if it happens, will be even better.
"Maybe that fight can still be made further down the line.
"You never know what can happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment