Thursday, November 7, 2013

MODUGNO: I’LL CRUSH CHISORA’S DREAM OF A WORLD TITLE

Matteo Modugno, challenger for Dereck Chisora's European Heavyweight title, says he'll KO the Londoner's dream of fighting for a world title again. The hard-hitting Italian, who's undefeated in 14 fights, has stopped his last six opponents inside six rounds and he's fired up to take Chisora crown at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday 30th November, live and exclusive on BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546).

Chisora's promoter Frank Warren is in talks with the promoter of Bulgaria's Kubrat Pulev about an eliminator for the world title next year, but Modugno is looking to pull off a big upset in the Londoner's backyard to crush his plans.

"First he has to get past me and I'm not a stepping stone for anybody.  I'm on my own road to the world title and if I beat Chisora then I will be the one in line for a world title opportunity, not Chisora," said Modugno.

"I've heard that he said he's looking to knock me out.  Talk is cheap.  Let's see if he can back up his words when the fight starts.  When the talk stops and the fight begins, I am ready for that and I am looking forward to it very much,"

"We all know that a KO can always happen in boxing and especially in the heavyweights.  I am training to go twelve full rounds if needed, but I think I have the right combination of style and physical assets to keep Chisora at bay, make him nervous and finally find the proper angle to land my big punches. I told you that I discovered his flaws, and I expect my strategy to pay off."

Modugno believes his speed and precision, plus having the experienced former trainer of Paolo Vidoz - the last Italian fighter to hold the European heavyweight title - in his corner will be a major factor in winning.

He added, "I have quick hands and good accuracy which Chisora will not be able to cope with. Plus my trainer Maurizio Zennoni has huge experience at this level as he was in Paolo Vidoz's corner when he was the European heavyweight champ,"

"I've seen plenty of Chisora's fights on TV and I respect what I saw.  Dereck looks like a seasoned professional, he went twelve full rounds against Klitschko.  I take my hat off to him, we are going to have a great fight for the fans, but I will be taking the European title with me."

Dereck Chisora headlines the Copper Box Arena with the first defence of his European Heavyweight title against Matteo Modugno; Nathan Cleverly challenges Daniel Ammann for the Vacant Commonwealth Cruiserweight Championship; plus London sensation Frank Buglioni challenges for the Vacant WBO European title and Bradley Skeete v Colin Lynes for the Vacant English Welterweight title.  An action-packed undercard features Mitchell Smith, Andreas and Chris Evangelou, Georgie Kean, Gary Corcoran and Tom Baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment