Thursday, July 11, 2013

Quick Interview: Povetkin Talks Hrunov, Tszyu, and Klitschko


In a recent interview with Alexander Povetkin, the Russian heavyweight talked a little bit about his upcoming fight with Wladimir Klitschko and his preparation camp situation:

Interviewer (I): Are you still working with Kostya Tszyu?
Povetkin (P): Yes, everything in that regard is ok.

I: Is there a solid reason for why you have decided to stop working with Hrunov?
P: No definitive reason, it will just be better this way.

I: Have you traveled to to meet with the representatives of Wladimir Klitschko?
P: No, I was only informed of how things were. As far as I know, we have accepted all of their demands on hand wraps, gloves, and doping tests. Otherwise they would once again decline to fight and would make it seems like it was I who was running away from them.

I: Wladimir had mentioned that the entire purpose of the meetings and discussions was to protect your mutual interests.
P: Talking and doing are two different things. He mostly does the talking. Wladimir has some connections with Ryabinskiy, thus I stopped talking to Wladimir. In my training camp, I will definitely have Kostya Tszyu, and various other trainers, and we will start the preparation. Vladimir Hrunov will have absolutely no part in any of that.

It seems as though the disconnect between Wlad and Alexander is real, and not just an act for the media. With Hrunov out of the picture, expect less information and updates from the Povetkin side of the team, leaving us to depend on Russian reporters and team Klitschko.

Being that the fight will be taking place in , I feel that Wladimir also gave up some of his ground and let Povetkin have something that he preferred. Wlad is notorious for holding his fights whenever and wherever he wants, thus this is probably a bigger deal for him than many realize. Let’s see what news the following weeks bring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment