Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Edwin Rodriguez; What next?



Photo: Emily Harney
I wanted to send a message: I’m ready for a title fight,” says top super middleweight Edwin Rodriguez. 

And the message took the form of a one round annihilation of tough Russian contender Denis Grachev by the unbeaten Rodriguez (24-0,16 KOs) in Monte Carlo July 13th. 



More than a message, the victory served as a warning to the reigning champions in the 168lb division, namely that the Worcester, Mass. resident is hot on their trail, particularly since Rodriguez is ranked in the top five spots in the four main boxing bodies. Fightnews caught up with Edwin Rodriguez to talk about the Grachev fight and what is in store for him after this impressive triumph.

Your victory over Grachev, the way it happened, really surprised many boxing writers. You don’t usually jump on your opponent and go after him the way you did on that occasion. Your attack was awesome. There was no studying of your opponent as you usually do. You just went out there looking for a knockout. Was this a planned strategy or not?

It so happens that I hit Grachev with a hook to the body and I realized that the punch really hurt him. So I did the natural thing, I decided to go for broke and take him out of there. It was an opportunity not to be missed. Why have a long night when it can be short?

Do you consider this to be your best victory in the pro ranks?

You might say that. It was the finale of the tournament and I was so pumped up. I wanted those four world champions out there to know that Edwin Rodriguez is knocking at the door. I wanted to send that message. I was really happy with my combinations. I can box and I can bang. I am happy at stopping a guy that gave Lucian Bute a heck of a fight.

Apart from the great purse, a few weeks before the fight you became the father of your third child. Was this a boost for you?

Yes, my son Ivan was born before the fight. It really pumped me up for that fight.

Some people will say beating Grachev was great, but fighting Andre Ward or Carl Froch is something else. Do you feel you are ready to step in against Ward or Froch?

You bet. Again, my victory was to let the world know that I’m ready for Andre or for Froch. I’d like to fight again this year and I want it to be for a title.
Ward or Froch, who would you pick?

Froch is definitely more adapted to my style. Plus, I’d love to bring this title to the United States. This said, I am ranked in the top five in the four boxing bodies. There is also Robert Steiglitz and Sakio Bika. I’ve seen Bika fight. It would be a real action-packed fight between us. I have a meeting planned with my people in New York so we can see what would be my next fight. Again, I’d love it to be a title fight.
Any message to your fans?

Yes, to my fans in Worcester and in New England, you guys make me stronger when I step into the ring. You push me to give it my all. Same to my fans in Moca, Dominican Republic. I was raised by my grandmother there before moving to the USA where my parents were. I want to bring her that world title belt. It’s a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment