Friday, September 20, 2013

Juan Manuel Marquez: 'The Pacquiao chapter of my career is over'


Why did Juan Manuel Marquez choose Timothy Bradley instead of Manny Pacquiao? Because that part of his career is over, says the Mexican veteran.


As Juan Manuel Marquez prepares to face Timothy Bradley on October 12, he explains his own decision to forego bigger money and a fifth fight with Manny Pacquiao to instead take on Bradley for the WBO welterweight title.
Why did you choose Bradley as your next opponent instead of a rematch with Pacquiao?
"My quest for a historic fifth world championship in a five different weight divisions is very important to me. I felt that I beat Manny Pacquiao in our third fight in November of 2011 and that I had earned the WBO welterweight title that night and I was very upset that it was taken away from me by the judges. But now that Tim Bradley has that belt I want it more than ever. I also felt that the fans wanted to see something new. The first two fights with Pacquiao were very close, the third I won easily and in the fourth I knocked him out cold, so as far as I am concerned, we are done with Pacquiao.
"Bradley is a two-time world champion, he is undefeated and brings speed and toughness to his fights. I think the fans will enjoy seeing me take on this type of challenge and I expect a very tough competitive fight and one that the fans will enjoy and will remember for a long time.
"I will be ready to take him on and will train very hard for this fight. I need to be at my very best to beat someone like Tim Bradley. He offers very different challenges then Pacquiao and it will very exciting for me to get ready for a boxer like Tim Bradley.
"I want to give the fans something different than another Pacquiao fight. We fought four times and I believe that the fans enjoyed all of them and we had a great rivalry but that is over now. My knockout victory settled everything with him. We now know for sure that I am the better fighter and there is no need for a fifth fight. It is time for something new.
"My career has always been about facing the best and Tim Bradley is considered one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. I am also in the list of the best pound for pound fighters, so this is a great fight for the fans.
"Bradley is going to come at his best, he has shown that he can box and he can brawl and has defeated some very good boxers in his career and it will up to me to be ready for him and to prove that I am still one the best. My experience and my intelligence will be very key for this fight. I believe I have the speed and the strength to beat him and I will show it on fight night.
"I just felt the Pacquiao chapter of my career is over after a great knockout victory last year and fighting Bradley is something new. He is younger and has a lot of skills and for me it's a great challenge and for the fans something new to see in my career. I believe this fight will be just as good as any I have had in my career and that is why I am fighting Tim Bradley on October 12, 2013."
By Bad Left Hook

No comments:

Post a Comment