Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Selcuk Aydin to face DeMarcus Corley this Friday in Turkey

Former WBC Silver welterweight champion Selcuk Aydin will take on veteran DeMarcus Corley this Friday (September 27th) in Tekirdag, Turkey. After losing to Roberto Guerrero (in July 2012) and Jesus Soto Karass (in January 2013) Aydin decided to move down in weight and compete at 140 lbs. The hard hitting Turk came back from his first two career defeats with two convincing wins over Giuseppe Lauri (in March) and Aaron Herrera (in July) and is eyeing another world title shot soon.

“It wasn’t easy for me to cope with the losses,” says Aydin. “Of course, I know that I was fighting abroad and that it would be hard to get a decision win in the United States. I also know that I could and should have done better against Guerrero and Soto Karass. It feels like I let my fans and family done. It took me some time to get over it. But that is far behind me now. I feel a lot better (at 140) than before. I feel very strong and also very fast. Nobody can stop me on my way to becoming a world champion.”

His opponent DeMarcus Corley will be a good test to see how good the 30-year-old Turk really is. Corley went the distance with pound-for-pound-king Floyd Mayweather jr. back in 2004 and has also been in the ring with the likes of Miguel Cotto, Junior Witter, Randall Bailey, Marcos Maidana and Lucas Matthysse – only to name a few. Corley is also used to traveling and fighting abroad. In 2012, the 39-year-old “Chop Chop” stopped local hero Paul McCloskey in the UK before losing a close decision to WBC no. 1 rated Viktor Postol in Kiev, Ukraine.

“I am sure that it will be a very exciting fight”, says promoter Ahmet Oner. “This is surely no gimme for Selcuk. He has to show a top performance to get past Corley who is an excellent gatekeeper. I believe in Selcuk and think that he will become champion of the world. But he will have to prove himself in every single fight.”

In the co-feature of the card IBF no. 4 rated cruiserweight Enad Licina is taking on Levan Jomardashvili from Georgia. The show will be broadcasted live on Eurosport on September 27th starting at 9pm (21.00h) Central European time.

No comments:

Post a Comment