Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Danny Garcia: 'Matthysse has power, I have power, too'
























Danny Garcia doesn't see anything special about Lucas Matthysse, and says if the Argentinean fighter goes for an early knockout, he'll be making a big mistake.
Danny Garcia is the one who holds the WBC and WBA junior welterweight titles, but Lucas Matthysse is the fan and odds-on favorite for their Saturday night fight on the Mayweather-Canelo undercard, which Garcia can't understand. As he's said from the beginning of the promotion, Garcia believes that Matthysse is just another fighter, one who has been overhyped.
"To me Matthysse is just a regular fighter and I don't consider him one of the best. He doesn't even have a world title. Let's see what happens when I back him up, work angles. I can fight backing up. Can he?
"Matthysse has power but I have power, too. I fought a lot of guys with power. Trust me, I plan to take away his power, make him miss and make him pay. If Matthysse opens up early to try to get me out of there, trust me, he's making a big mistake. He tries that and the fight's going to be over quickly."
Matthysse (34-2, 32 KO) has been blowing through his opponents, but it's very true that none of them had the fire to throw back that Garcia (26-0, 16 KO) does. The best of Matthysse's wins has been against Lamont Peterson, a very good boxer, and while it was very impressive on Lucas' end, Peterson doesn't have the thump that Garcia does. In short, Garcia can bang with Matthysse -- if he can take the punches, too.
As much as Danny doesn't see what's special about this fight, boxing fans do. This is one of the most highly-anticipated fights on the schedule right now, and one we're all looking forward to seeing get settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment