Friday, August 30, 2013

Chavez says Vera fight will be challenging


Photo: Chris Farina / Top Rank
On Thursday afternoon, Top Rank held a press conference in Carson, Calif. to officially announce the rescheduled date for the super middleweight clash between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Brian Vera.
Chavez and Vera were set to fight on Sep. 7, but Chavez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) came down with an eye injury during training camp and was forced to postpone the fight. With the cut over his eye fully healed, the fight is finally set to go, but has since moved from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, to the Stub Hub Center in Carson.
“Vera is the real deal, a warrior,” said Chavez.  “Years ago I sparred a few rounds against Vera when I was in Dallas during the Pacquiao vs.  Margarito event. Vera was pretty intense and I knew he could fight. We were in a ring set up inside of the Gaylord Hotel. So this fight on September 28 will challenging for me.”
“We could have stayed around and fought WBO champion Peter Quillin but we know what is at stake with all of this,” said Vera.  “I feel like I been in camp for three fights.  I expect to be victorious in a great fight on September 28th.”
Chavez has not fought since being suspended following his decision loss to Sergio Martinez last September, and is now being trained by his legendary father, the great Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.
“I am just so happy getting back into the ring after such a long layoff. I think about the Sergio Martinez fight every day. A little of me died inside when I lost that fight. Could I have done better?  Of course I should have but it did not happen.  Now we have Vera who is aggressive and punches hard. I wanted to come back against a great fighter and Vera is all of that.  I plan to win this fight and then we will discuss my plans for 2014,” proclaimed Chavez.
HBO will televise the fight at 10:45 p.m. ET/PT and tickets, priced at $200, $100, $50 and $20, are already on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment