Thursday, August 29, 2013

Diego De La Hoya signs with JDLHmgmnt, set for debut

LOS ANGELES — August 28, 2013 — The De La Hoya family will soon add another professional boxer to its ranks, as Diego De La Hoya signs with JDLHmgmnt in advance of his professional debut on September 12th in Las Vegas.  His debut is the culmination of an accomplished amateur career, having had over 250 amateur bouts, and winning a silver medal in the Mexican Olympic Nationals.  Diego follows in the footsteps of his cousin, “Golden Boy” Oscar De La Hoya.

Diego narrowly missed the opportunity to fight in the 2012 Olympics in London, losing a close fight to now professional standout Oscar Valdez.  Diego’s subsequent plan, which included a bid for the 2016 games in Rio, was scrapped when changes were made to the AIBA rules, disallowing head gear.  “If I’m going to fight without head gear, I might as well get paid for it,” said Diego on going pro. "I am very happy to have signed with the best company in boxing. This is a great opportunity for me, and I have to take advantage of it. I feel very happy and very motivated for September 12th, which will be my debut, and my opportunity to show people that another De La Hoya has arrived in boxing."

The signing is the fourth for JDLHmgmnt, which also manages undefeated Golden Boy Promotions fighters Julian “El Camaron” RamirezHugo “The Boss” Centeno and Francisco “El Bandido” Vargas.   “I’ve watched Diego grow up in boxing, and we’re very excited for this signing,” said JDLHmgmnt founder Joel De La Hoya.   “This is another great addition to the management company. It makes it even more special that he’s family.   My job is to take him to the top, and between Golden Boy Promotions and myself, I think we’re going to be able to do that for him.” 

Diego has relocated from Mexicali, Mexico to California, and will be training with Joel Diaz at Joel Diaz Boxing in Indio.  Said Diaz, “It’s an honor having the kid here. He has a good resume. He was part of the Mexican Olympic Team. He wants to learn, and likes to work.  He has a lot of potential, and has a devastating left hook. I like working with a kid like that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment